Thursday, February 9, 2012

Gloom Cupboard and Paris under bombs

Today, one of my early non-fictiony pieces was published by a small magazine with great taste :-): Gloom Cupboard:
http://gloomcupboard.com/2012/02/09/2360/#more-2360
It's, I believe, the third story from the top. So scroll down. Or read it all, what do I care.
I think I wrote this story in New York City, probably in 2008. But it could have been 2007. or 2009. Either way, it's been a while. I edited it a bit along the way, and submitted months ago. I actually forgot about it until today, I got an e-mail saying that The Gloom Cupboard (I love the title) loves it and will publish it.
Nice...
It's about NATO bombardment of Serbia and lots more--its effect on people's lives, but also general Serbian traditions, superstitions and the way of life in the 80s and 90s.
It's a bit funny at times. It's actually pretty good. So read it.
What else?
I still haven't decided on a new challenge. I have a trip to Europe up in the air so it's throwing me off a little. It's hard to plan when you can't plan.
I might just look into it tomorrow and jump into it on Monday.
I'm loving my GW fiction class, by the way. It's fun but also very technical and I need that in this stage of my writing career, if you can call it that.
Plus, my teacher is funny. I enjoy funny people.
And my last submitted, discussed story looks like a horror movie now--his comments and scribbles all over. But that's good, right? He's giving me a genuine and extensive feedback. Not like a teacher I had in The Writer's Center in Bethesda--she would not mark up the story, just write down four pathetic comments on a piece of paper and you go, figure out how to become better by yourself.
So, read Paris under bombs and comment, s'il vous plait?

No comments:

Post a Comment