Tuesday, November 8, 2011

A serious post, for a change...

I have been writing this blog for only a few weeks, and I'm already breaking the cardinal Rule Number One: Dont' blog from home. I am, in fact, in my bedroom, listening to Zdravko Colic's music from before I was born, and sipping real hot chocolate I had made for myself (cocoa, brown sugar, vanilla extract, milk. Minus marshmallows and whipped cream. Out.) The reason I'm already breaking the rules is that the rules are there to be broken (no, I'm kidding), I'm having a couple of very busy days, and I don't want to have more than a few between posts. Such as me, a dedicated person ;-)
Tomorrow is the asylum case I'm working on. On Thursdays I have my writing class. Between these, I have a tone of reading to do. And my mother is here, so I'm trying to see her every other day.
On a more serious note, I went to a panel on Kosovo in the Wilson center yesterday. It was shocking how no one in the Reagan building knew where the Wilson center was. I felt like I was walking through a maze.
A political scholar from Serbia was talking about different possibilities of what could happen in regards to Serbia not recognizing Kosovo as independent, and the ramifications of it, as well as how the EU is blackmailing Serbia. He didn't say that, I did.
My humble opinion has been that the best thing to resolve the Kosovo issue would be partition. But now, that I know more, I'm not so sure. This political analyst said that the partition would endanger Serbs and other minorities who live in other parts of Kosovo, besides the North, plus it would set dangerous precedents (Macedonia, Republika Srpska...)
An interesting thing was that he was shooting down all these different popular ideas, possible solutions,  floating in the media and among people, until there was none left. Actually the only solutions he saw--dual sovereignty, high degree of autonomy for minorities, didn't sound like a solution at all. It sounded like a consolation prize.
The most interesting thing on the panel was a gentleman from the Albanian-American society, council, group, or something similar, who, during the Q&A, held a small speech on how Serbs on barricades in Kosovo are just troublemakers, and then finally asked, why is the Serbian government supporting them? I think the answer was something along the lines: What else could they do? Everyone has to walk on eggshells around the Kosovo problem. And damned the first one who says: we have to accept its independence.
I wouldn't want to walk on that politician's grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment