Thursday, December 1, 2011

Stars, dreams, coffee grounds, voodoo, whatever...

I'm sorry for the long hiatus. But my 14-year-old Dalmatian dog died in Serbia, and I didn't feel like anything. The strange thing is that I used him as a model for the dog in my Balkan Voodoo story recently. How weird. Especially since I don't believe in fortunetelling or voodoo of any kind. Or even that the star alignment on the day you were born can determine your life. I believe that you make your own destiny. Still, weird things happen to me, from time to time, to shake me a bit.
For example, I don't believe in dreams predicting your future, but I agree that they can help you read someone's (your) subconsciousness. And I don't know what dreams "mean." But when my uncle was in a hospital in 1997, gravely ill, I dreamed I was riding a beautiful white horse the night before he died. Then the day after I read that a white horse in dream means death.
Scary, right?
Now, I know what you are going to think. I would think the same thing--someone told me that the white horse means death, or I read it somewhere, or I made everything up. But I didn't.
I think that believing your life is predestined is a slippery slope. "Well, I can't change anything, why bother," someone might say, get lazy. I think that if you want to change your life, you usually can. Stars, dreams, coffee grounds, voodoo, whatever. But I have to admit, once in a while, something eerie happens that makes me wonder...just a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment